Google Search

Custom Search

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dolphins back Reggie Bush: 'I Want The Rushing Title"

In 2011, Reggie Bush stunned the world by being something he'd never been in his career before: a traditional running back. Bush rushed for 200 yards in one game and topped 1,000 rushing yards in a season for the first time in his career.

Now Bush has an even bolder goal: he wants to lead the entire NFL in rushing yards in 2012.

"I want the rushing title," Bush said, per the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "This offseason, I've been working toward that goal. Just being effective like I was this past season. Every time I rush the ball, I want four yards. I'm keeping my focus simple and small but at the same time helping my team progress."

The last time that the NFL leader in rushing yards posted less than 1,600 yards was 2007, when LaDainian Tomlinson won the title with 1,474. So if we assume that Bush needs at least that much to lead the league and he averages four yards a carry, he'll need 400 carries to get to 1,600 yards.

If Bush manages to repeat last year's success of five yards per carry, he'll need 320 carries to hit 1,600 yards. Even if he hits his career high of 5.6 yards per carry (from 2009 when he carried the ball just 70 times), Bush will need 285 carries to hit 1,600 yards.

What I'm trying to get at is that it's pretty unlikely that Bush will lead the league in rushing yards -- he's never carried the ball more than 215 times in a season, and he did that last year over the course of 15 games.

He's also transitioning to a Joe Philbin-run offense, which will be good for him in the sense that he's the type of running back who can do damage in both the running and passing game.

It'll be "bad" for him in the sense that he's not going to get the touches necessary to lead the league in rushing. But props to him for elevating his goals as he continues to reinvent his game.

No comments:

Post a Comment